Thursday, September 12, 2013

Deriving the volume of a sphere solution

note* I'm assuming you are already familiar with calculus. If you're not, it's probably not going to make any bit of sense.

I will be doing this using integration techniques. Remember learning about solids of revolution from calc. I? That's what I'll be using. I'm not really sure if it's the best way, but it works.

Consider the graph of a basic semi-circle. If you were to revolve it around the x-axis, the solid generated would be a sphere whose cross sections are circles.
Imagine slicing through a sphere. You'll notice that the cross sections are circles of varying sizes. What I'll essentially be doing is creating a summation of disks that each have a very small thickness of dx.
To start off, I'm going to create a function of the cross sectional area and integrate it from one end of the semi circle (-r) to the other (r). I'll need the formula for the area of a circle. The radius of each cross section will vary as a function of x, and so I need to make the appropriate substitution for the radius. Through integration, the disks of varying cross sectional area will be summed together to create a sphere.
There's nothing all that tricky about solving this integral. If you work it all out you should end up with the correct formula for the volume of a sphere.




No comments:

Post a Comment